Thursday, March 19, 2015

PI visits PP

A brief reflection of Joy Wright's visit to Paine Primary:

March 6, 2015                                                   

I recently had the privilege of visiting twice with Ms. Haley Dykes, a teacher at Paine Primary, and her second graders.  On Friday, February 27th, we walked over to Ms. Dykes’ portable and shared some of our favorite picture books with her students.  The children also conducted mini-interviews in order to find at least three things they had in common with their partner.  While the children visited, Ms. Dykes and I had the opportunity to talk about our teaching experiences and the pros and cons of having a portable classroom!  During my years at Chalkville Elementary, I spent 4 years in an 8-classroom portable unit, so I have some stories!


This past Tuesday, March 3rd, Ms. Dykes brought her class to my room during intervention.  The second-graders will be writing an opinion piece before the end of the school year about what they think third grade will be like, so they asked numerous questions of my students to gain information about life at Paine Intermediate.  They were excited to learn about daily specials, changing classes, Club Day, WPIN, and other differences. 


I was once again amazed at how much growth occurs during the months of third grade.  The second graders seemed so young and small compared to my “almost” fourth graders and I was so pleased with the friendly and nurturing responses that my students showed to their new friends.  Ms. Dykes and I both expressed the desire to get together with our students again before the end of the school year.  This was definitely a beneficial activity for me.


Joy Wright


No comments:

Post a Comment